CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Definition of disfunctional

Ok, so I'm going to try and get through this posting w/o crying all over the keyboard...

So, Saturday was my baby's birthday..my ONLY baby (well ok, he turned 17 so maybe "baby" isn't the MOST correct description of him) and his own grandparents didn't even bother to call him or send him anything for his birthday...they only live about 45 minutes away but you'd think it was like four states with how little we see them and I just snapped tonight...I've always had to deal w/ having a father, stepmother and half-sister that were basically non existent, but this was my end of the rope thing...they're the type of family that are fine and loving if WE go to their house, but they don't ever make arrangements to come see us, or our new house, or be here for their grandson's birthday..things like that...(I haven't received a birthday present/card from them in three years now but I'm not bitter :) I have always, ever since I was a little girl, made excuses for them and made up this image in my own head that my life was great with them. I tried to put them into whatever situation seem to befit where you'd insert a parent, but it was always make believe.

My mother passed away 6 1/2 years ago and she was always the rock. She adored my son and me and always made time to be there as a mother/parent should. I wouldn't have been able to run her off this weekend when my son turned 17.

It's just heartbreaking for me. It brings me to tears everytime and I just realized today that I had to learn to find a way to move on without that part of my family...I had to learn to understand that I wasn't important to them...or at least not important enough...and it hurts...like the devil.

I guess I just had to put it all in writing so I could actually see it instead of just thinking it in my head. It's going to be a long road from now on...thank goodness I've got a wonderful hubby and family to help me walk this narrow road.

1 comments:

GF said...

I'm sorry about your family -- the distress they can sometimes cause us. Perhaps you'll be able to turn it all around when you are a 'grandparent'?? [But NOT so soon, right?]